Sunday, December 2, 2007

Cozy Covers

I guess I'll try to get things started here. I've been thinking for a few years about some songs I would like to hear covered by certain artists. I doubt that I can remember all of them right now, but here's what comes to mind:


The Polyphonic Spree OR Danielson-"Come Sail Away" by Dennis DeYoung, as performed by Styx



I initially thought several years ago that the Polyphonic Spree had what it took in terms of instrumentation and Tim DeLaughter's voice to pull off a good cover of this song. However, with Danielson's most recent nautical-themed album I came to realize that Dan and the Familie could probably do something great with this piece of prog-rock kitsch.


Silver Mt. Zion-"Uninvited" by Alanis Morrisette



OK, Ok, now hear me out here. Think about those beautiful strings, Efrim's voice and the ridiculous juxtaposition of this song and it's lyrical content alongside all the others in SMZ's repertoire. Plus, they're all from Canada, and nationalism is real important, right?


Johnny Cash-"Rebel Yell" by Billy Idol and Steve Stevens



I know it's too late for this now, but I really wish JR could have bellowed and moaned his way through this one.


Over the Rhine-"Strawberry Wine" by Matraca Berg and Gary Harrison, as performed Deana Carter



This is the one I am most serious about. I honestly cannot understand how Over the Rhine did NOT write this song. It fits so well in both lyrically and musically with the rest of their songs that I really need to hear Karin Bergquist singing this. Soon.


What do you think? Got some of your own? Post it!

2 comments:

barrymockies said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
barrymockies said...

the first two links are dead.